Sunday, December 24, 2006

Farewell childhood, hello adulthood

With a blink, I’ve reached adulthood. 21 years old is no longer teenager or kid. I am proud to say I am an ADULT now! But sometime my face still looks like an adolescent, because of the stupid pimples... Well anyway, I managed to go through highschool, pre-University course (Cambridge A-Level) and should be able to get my degree soon.

Highschool passed by in cloud nine. Didn’t know and care anything much besides my school-band. I was so into my band that I had practice sessions almost everyday. I remembered that one of my Form teacher told my mom during the Parent Day that I go for band way too much and that might disrupt my studies (for my PMR, forgotten what it is called). Well I am lucky I did well for that public exam and managed to get into Science Stream. In highschool, besides going for tuition classes, all I do was band activities, street soccer, and hang out with bandmates and friends. Those days I was a real computer idiot. Computer wasn’t an important thing in my life, I can live without it.

Then it was A-Level. Met heaps of crazy people, and we called ourselves A-Level Monkey. Our A-Level was 1 year course (others were 11/2 or 2 year course) but we played almost the whole year, until the last minute only we started study. Still remember the barbeque party in Hooi Yee’s house right after our trial exam, which was about 1 month before our real exam. Had the blast of time at that time and with sweet memories that none of us will ever forget!

Finished my A-Level without any As, but enough point to go to a decent university. Hehehe. In the beginning, I didn’t plan to go to Monash University to do my Bachelor of Science (Biotechnology), thinking it is very expensive. Was appealing to my home court for going to New Zealand for Bachelor of Psychology, but lost because the Dad Judge rejected me the appeal. Instead of Otago University in New Zealand, I was given a choice to study in Bangkok University, Thailand… At the end of last court case, I was finally shove to University Tunku Abdul Rahman, and I personally don’t like it there. Why? No high-tech machineries, no good laboratory facilities, no good computer laboratory facilities, and the most important thing; the units that we study are not I want. Electives weren’t electives that you can choose freely from all the faculties. They were set and you need to take it no matter you like it or not.

Can’t take it after 1 semester, and when I heard my sister is not going to RMIT to study, I immediately negotiated with my dad about Monash. There wasn’t a big talk over our home court, and my dad judge passed my appeal with some teeth grinning of my opponent sister.

Monash University is really my correct choice! I got the freedom to choose my electives and good facilities. After all, I did not go away from my public highschool just to be stuck in some kind of Asian-you-must-do-or-die-units in university. I went in Monash with my two friends who later become my best friends. I also met heaps of new friends from all around Malaysia. I was no longer looking forward to go oversea to study but instead was looking forward to graduate with them, until one day; my aunt from Australia came back and generously sponsoring me for my final year of university. I was very confused that time… My family wasn’t the rich one, just enough for me to survive in Malaysia, but to go Australia, I will be giving heaps of burden. That time was directly 1 year ago, around Christmas. Finally I was given a green-light to go Aus to continue my one year study. I can tell my sister wasn’t too happy about this… During 2005-2006 summer holiday, I was working in Seapack Food Pty, which was my internship. Right after my internship, we (the whole family) went for China/Macau/Hong Kong trip. Came back 1 week after my semester started. That semester was my 2nd year 2nd semester, trying my best to do good because I will be going over to Aus. The whole semester was in a rush. Rushing to do my applications, my visa, my body check-up, my plane tickets, etc.

Once everything was settle, got the flight date I wanted for, 1st of July; I rushed back to my hometown, Penang. I only spend 10 days at home, half of the time I was out hunting for good foods, meeting my friends, and just sit at home with my family. The day of my departure, I did not cry a single tear. I thought I will cry like a baby before I leave my family and friends, but I didn’t. Sat in the plane all by myself is a good feeling. Hehe.

Anyway reached Aus, and the next day I was out and about. Went out to find my good friend, Joce, that day was her birthday. Look around this unfamiliar world all by myself. Scared? No way, I done that many times when I went to China all by myself in early 2005. After 1 week in Melbourne, it was time for me to see my campus, Gippsland. When I reach Churchill, the first thing I do was, jaw-dropping. It was so kampong that I can hear cows moo-ing outside my room. There weren’t much of the mall, one supermarket selling groceries and some restaurants. That’s all…

After 2 months of staying in that place, I finally get the heck of it. Wasn’t that bad, I can do all kinds of sports that I cannot do back at home, such as jogging. I met heaps of nice people all around the world and some good local Aussie friend! I organised a Farewell Steamboat Party with my housemates and we had a blast of time over there. I was lucky to be able to move into that house, with less noisy monster! I was also very lucky to be able to see the outside world when I reached adulthood, 21 years old. In the first 2 months, I was counting the days I since I’ve reach Aus. But after October, because of the Final Exam, I stopped counting it and now it is half a year already, since I reached Aus. This half a year, I travelled to all kind of places, Daylesford for spring water, Air Force at Sale, Great Ocean Road, Philip Island, etc etc.

After 1 year of non-stop working, I finally get my 2 weeks holiday (which was the longest in this year, 2006). Going to bid farewell 2006 with more travelling (this time to Adelaide!). Should be back on New Year Eve and wave goodbye to 2006 in Melbourne and wave goodbye to childhood into adulthood! Hoping for the best next year, much of stuffs in front of me and I really need some luck! Just want to be a better person and be all rounder (but not stomach round)!

2 comments:

Nic said...

Happy (belated) birthday!

Anonymous said...

Nic. you are 5 months late. Hehehehe