Monday, February 26, 2007

Oversea Studies

For the past few days, I have zero idea and craps to put into this crapspot.com. Weird huh? The most crap person becomes a normal person once awhile. Hehehe. Now I want to start crapping again. Seen we started our new semester. A new first semester for some juniors/newbies and old last semester for people like me (us!).


To those who just bump into this blog accidently, I am currently studying in Australia and am studying oversea. Studying Oversea... You might think that my dad is bloody rich, to be able to send me all the way to Aus. You are totally wrong. My dad and I are poor people. Just have enough money to study oversea.

These characteristics are known throughout the globe:
  • If you are Asian, and you study Abroad, your dad Must be Damn Rich.
  • If you are Asian, and you study Abroad, you Must be Pai-Kah (rich kid who spend their money without thinking)

All these characteristics are damn wrong. I am not pai-kah (okay slightly, when I saw something I really want). Besides that, I don't simply buy stuffs, just for it... I could spend the whole day walking around Melbourne CBD and did not buy anything (except Eating). Most of my friends do not have a car, and we (Asian) cook for most of the meals, just to save a few bucks. All of us know how bad our dads worked... How hard they earn the money just for us to study abroad.

Most of us did try to find some part-time jobs. But most of us (Gippy people) fail to find a job, because we lack of transportation (no car, need to spend another AUD20k++) and some Science kids do not have time. Someone just told me directly that, You are Privilege. To be able to come Australia, you are way better than other people. blah blah blah...

The thing is I never felt PRIVILEGE at all. I am feeling lucky. Not privilege. Privilege this word is way too strong and somehow rude.... If you feel privilege, you ought to come here. No matter what, you must get what are you looking for. I don't. I am feeling Lucky because I get to come here and continue my degree in Science.

Okay, need to clear another thing. There are some rich kids do spend their parents money like drinking water. I see heaps of such people in Aus. Just like the proverb 'one bad apple spoils the barrel'. It only need one Pai-Kah Chai to bring the whole International Student Community down. I had some friends, their families are like millionaire... They went abroad to study, but most of them did not success in obtaining the degree. Why? They were busy playing and partying which need money (there is no 'S' for money, if there is, it will be more than 1 's').

So, this entry is to tell those people not to judge a certain group of people by their main cover page.

8 comments:

Walter said...

When I was studying in Monash Gippsland (1998-2000), I didn't find a job and it's hard to find a job.

At that time, the economy was not pretty good in Australia, especially in rural area like Gippsland. Some Aussie blame the Asian took their job opportunities away.

Anonymous said...

Hi Walter!!! Ta for dropping by. Yeah, the Aussie always blame the Asian took their jobs away. But what my supervisor (a local Aussie) was saying, they themselves know they can't compete with us in work.

We Asian can work 24 hours, 6 days a week. But the Aussie tends to preserve their lifestyle. They want to have a life (unlike Asian) but they don't think that they don't have money in doing so. Hahaha

Walter said...

I remember that on the way from West House to FoodWorks Supermarket of Hazelwood Shopping Centre (Still there?). Some Aussie kids may ask the overseas student for money to buy a Coke. Or......some of them pay you to buy them beer and cigarettes. Is it still the same in Churchill now?

Does the Chinese restaurant located in Hazelwood Shopping Centre still there? It's opened by a Hong Kong chef. Feel likes home when we visit there.

Leon-G said...

the Aussie kids do not come to us for help in buying coke or ciggie or beer anymore. Which is good! Hehehe.

The Chinese restaurant is still here. Recently it just moved to the building near the Foodworks. Not sure it is open by a Hongkie (sorry) chef, cause never been in there before... Too expensive!!!

Walter said...

Lex, thanks for your update on Churchill.

What subject are you studying at Monash Gippsland? Business or IT?

Leon-G said...

Both also NOT! Hahaha. I am a Malaysian, and most of us are doing Biotechnology (Science).... I reckon like half of the Malaysian here are doing Biotech!

Don't understand why also! Hahaha. Maybe most of us are transfering from Malaysian Campus.

Walter said...

While I was in Monash Gippsland, most Asian students study IT and Business. Just few of them study Engineering or Biotechnology.

Leon-G said...

Now still got a lot of Asian studying IT and Business. Most of them are China Chinese. IT is dominated by most Singaporean and Biotechnology is dominated by Malaysian! Hahaha.

There are Hongkies as well. They are more well spreaded out! Hahaha.