Wednesday, September 03, 2008

From Beggars to Choosers

Everyone will experience this phase of life. Where sometimes you feel like you are lost, could not find a way out in a crowded room or train carriages. You felt like you have lost the purpose of your life. But those who dwelt long enough in this realm, will soon realise it and start to accept it.

Yup, I am speaking of unemployment. This terminology is very misleading. So to be clear, the unemployment I said meant anyone who is no longer under the shadow of an university and those who has no permanent job. Yes, those who is under casual work and is currently looking for something better is also regarded as "unemployed". But of course those who are happily working casually or working casually because of the family purposes are not included.

Like I said, this phase is very stressful, even more so than when you are employed. People constantly asking you, scrutinizing you, on matters about jobs and employment. I reckon it is easier over here, where people are more understanding. I am not so sure when you are in countries like Malaysia, where people's wages are what set them apart from one another. Sometimes when you are that stressed out, one will turn against another cause lack of understanding. Thank god I have friends who understands and who were in this situation before/still. Yes, sadly most of my friends are in this situation like me.

Rejections after another, this is not depressing enough? But as quoted by someone, "sooner or later, you will be so thick-skinned that you won't give a damn on it anymore". "No more feeling!". I just came back from an interview for a part time job, somewhere in Mitcham. If I do get the job, it won't be something I will bounce like a monkey, doing monkey dance (if there is any). Cause first of all, it is 1 and half hour travel from my home to Mitcham. Secondly it is into strategic analysing and researching. Something that I am not particularly intrested in, although I have enough experiences. However, I will still take up the job. A job is still a job after all.

Then there is this phone call from a recruitment agency. Asking about my qualifications and experiences. All sounded very promising, but I am not very sure how still the pond water can be. There might be a croc hiding underneath. Why so? Storys about their arrangements and actions may not be that pleasant to hear. Suddenly I am no longer a begger? I started to choose. My aunt said I can be chooser because I have God with me, but, do I? (I will speak more about this the next entry). But am I a chooser after all? Of course, everyone will like to be a chooser than beggars, but how long can we choose before we need to beg?

How long do we need to hunt for this whitehorse before we could sit on its saddle comfortably? How long do we need to stand aimlessly in the hordes of people buzzing around Flinders Street Station? How long do we need to sit in front of our laptop, refreshing Seek.com.au for the immediate job vacancies? How long I wonder.

No comments: