Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Reflex

Have you ever bid goodbye to someone but have some slightly more meaningful quotes like "Have a nice day" or "I hope you'll get well soon", something like that?

I can never do that or answer any of these questions. I am very bad with quick responses during conversation. I should say my responses are shocking. When I chat with some people who are kinda rushing to someplace or vise versa, I tend to blah out nonsense..... Instead of saying Sorry, I could say Thank You, or instead of saying You're alright, I could say I am sorry.

I think my brain is slightly slow in reaction for any of these quick activities. I can never think of anything good to say (sometimes), and when people wish me something well in the end, I will just throw in a worst ending phrase.

I just came out of the restaurant with my relatives, my uncle's cousin and the cousin's partner. We were all saying something in between and we bid each other farewell. Just before we went our own ways, this is what my uncle's cousin said to me.

S: I hope to see you next time, and hope that your PR application goes well.

What did I reply? I was slightly blurred for a second, and that's what I replied

Me: Will do.

Yes, this is all I replied. WILL DO? This is how well I react to quick conversation. I can never say anything good.

Of course when I banged to someone, I will know how to say sorry. Back to the conversation above, I was actually reacting to the first part of the conversation "Hope to see you next time", not the "PR application goes well". But I am sure I spoke loud enough for him to hear only "Will do". Then there are some things that I learned. I have a few tricks on my sleeve. Like "Sorry" and "It's alright" sounded almost the same if you speak in a very quick way.

So every time I banged to someone I will say "ssoh-rrai-". When people banged me, I will say "iss-soh-rait". Sounded almost the same huh?

2 comments:

Brendan said...

On one side of the coin it's good to hear that you know what's bothering you about yourself and that you're willing to improve.

On the other side, I think you're being overly critical of yourself, as well as being overly analytical. Your problem may just come down to general social anxiety. Lots of people are in the same boat as you. In all likelihood, you'll overcome it with experience.

Leon-G said...

Hmm good one brendan!

I guess I am too analytical (this wouldn't help cause I am a scientist)..... And I reckon I improved a lot since two years ago.