Sunday, February 10, 2008

Slang

Okay, I was pretty lazy in blogging these days. I am sorry. Besides it is Chinese New Year and I have yet post anything about CNY. Hahaha. Maybe you should see my another blog MooMooLanders for those pictures of CNY Fest. And the slow speed of photo uploading in my new House is not helping......

Before I start rambling, I wish to greet everyone

Gong Xi Fa Chai
Keong Hee Huat Chai
Kong Hei Fatt Choi
Happy Chinese New Year

Okay, enough of seasonal greetings, I can start my rambling now. Hahaha.

Last month, yeah one month passed that quickly, when I have a good nite sleep! Anyway, I was calling my new landlord about my house, when the call divert me to a voice mail service. Yeah rite, it is a service where an operator will talk to you and ask you what you need instead of you talking idiotically to the silent on the other end.

So, once the lady was speaking on the other end, I actually thought that she is a relative or someone close to David. After she repeated the second time, I caught what she meant. Her Aussie accent was not really strong, and she is definitely not an Indian. I am not being a racist, but most voice operator these days in Aus, are Indians. Indians apart, this operator's accent is alright and I pretty much know the hell she is talking about. The problem was she couldn't catch what I wanted to say on my end......
Okay this is how the conversation goes (Let's call her Operator Penny, you will know what I use this nick later on):

Operator Penny: Hi, this is the voice mail service for David J------s
Me: Huh? David?
Penny: Hi, this is the voice mail service for David, what can I help you?
Me: Oh. I wanted to talk to David (hahaha, how idiotic can I be ay?)
Penny: No (I bet I really got her nerves this time). I am a voice operator for David. Can I leave a message for him? Do you want to leave a name, telephone number and a message for David so that he can call you back?
Me: (Finally get what she meant, hey I never encounter such thing before) Ooooh. Hi, this is Lex, I am the new tenant for Dalpura Court and my mobile is 04xx xxx xxx.
Penny: So Lex as in L. E. X?
Me: Yes
Penny: Mobile number, is 04 x x x x x x x x?
Me: Yes
Penny: and your message will be?
Me: I wanted to talk to David about Dalpura Court Unit 2.
Penny: Huh? about what?
Me: Dalpura Court
Penny: Oooh, Dalpura CouRT (with the emphasis on the "tk" sound)
Me: Yeah, Dalpura CouRT....... (thinking: can't she hear my "tk".......)
Penny: and how do you spell Dalpura? D for donkey? A for amy? L for lex?
Me: Yes
Pen: then B for benny.
Me: (Immediately) No, P for pen
Penny: yes yes, B for ben
Me: (is she trying to get back to me?) No, P for Pen (with the emphasis on sharp "p" sound)
Penny: Ben?
Me: Urgh..... P for Pencil. PENCIL!!!!!

And the line just cut there..... Cause I ran out of credit........ I can't believe that. I spent all my credit on spelling Pen. Pen Pen.......
Luckily David did replied me a few minutes later......

For your information, my Malaysian slang is not as bad as it used to be. I am not boosting, but I can communicate with my local friends pretty well and easy. So I just don't know what happened there......

No comments: